2 children killed in shooting at Texas car wash on July 4 – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Two young girls and a man are dead and three others are recovering from their injuries after a fight escalated into gunfire outside a coin-operated laundromat in far southwest Fort Worth late Thursday night, police said.

Fort Worth police confirmed to NBC 5 overnight that they were called to a fatal shooting at the Crystal Clean car wash in the 7500 block of W. Cleburne Road around 11:40 p.m. When officers arrived at the car wash, they found an adult male with a gunshot wound to the lower torso. The man, whose identity has not been confirmed, was taken to the hospital where he later died.

Officers soon learned that there had been multiple victims in the shooting and that five others had been taken to nearby hospitals by private vehicles.

Two of those victims were young girls, ages 15 months and 4 years old. According to the Tarrant County Coroner, both girls were taken to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Southwest Fort Worth, where they died shortly after midnight.

According to police, three other people who were injured in the shooting are not in critical condition.

According to Fort Worth police, a shooting occurred after a fight broke out between two people and someone started shooting. Video from the car wash showed dozens of evidence markers on the ground near one of the car washes.

“Investigators learned that a struggle broke out between the suspect and one of the shooting victims. The suspect began firing at the subject and others present,” police said in a statement. “During the course of the investigation, it was determined that the suspect was also shot during this incident.”

Police have not identified the suspect or confirmed whether he is at large, in custody or the man killed in the shooting.

“My heart breaks for the families who wake up after the Fourth of July, a day meant for celebration, and mourn the loss of young lives snuffed out by senseless crimes,” Fort Worth Police Chief Neil Noakes said in a statement Friday. “We share their grief and remain committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of our community.”

Noakes thanked residents “for their vigilance and cooperation during this time. As always, we urge the public to report any suspicious activity. If you see something, say something.”

The investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

Please check back and refresh this page for the latest update. As this story develops, elements of this story may change.