4 shark attacks on a Texas beach during the 4th of July celebrations

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas – At least four shark attacks disrupted Independence Day celebrations on South Padre Island, the Texas beach bordering Mexico. One man was hospitalized with a severe bite.

According to South Padre Island City Clerk Nikki Soto, police were called to the attack on the man around 11 a.m. He was treated on the beach by firefighters and police before being taken to the hospital.

No information was available on Thursday evening about the man's condition and the severity of his injuries.

RELATED TOPIC: “I punched him in the face”: 19-year-old woman fights 5-foot-long shark on Galveston beach

The man was immediately treated on the beach by firefighters and police and then taken to a hospital.

“Currently, the South Padre Island Beach Patrol, as well as the fire and police departments, are patrolling the coast using drones,” Soto said.

The second attack apparently involved a swimmer who was pulled out of the water by other beachgoers. She was bleeding and had a visible wound on her left leg.

Chris Dowdy, Texas Parks and Wildlife ranger, confirmed the four attacks to KRGV, NBC's Rio Grand Valley affiliate.

Dowdy said the third case involved a man who kicked the shark when it was bitten and the man required stitches.

The fourth victim was a girl who suffered minor injuries.

Her mother explained on Facebook: “The girls were standing in knee-deep water with their boogie boards when the shark came behind Victoria with full force, pushed her away and managed to scratch her leg with at least five of its teeth. They immediately ran and screamed 'shark', they were terrified. It was a very scary moment, the girls were in shock.”

VIDEO: Shark pulled back into Galveston waters after reaching shore 😲

Numerous social media posts from South Padre residents said the U.S. Coast Guard had advised beachgoers to avoid the water.

The last reported shark attack in the South Padre Island area was five years ago, according to Captain Dowdy.

Based on witness statements and images on social media, authorities believe that a single shark, approximately 1.8 meters long, was responsible for the incident, according to Dowdy.

The last reported shark attack in the area occurred five years ago, according to Dowdy.

Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.